The vertical fin is a nice grade of 1/6" balsa. I'm going to used Cover Grip on the tail surfaces,
so I inset a piece of scrap with Super'Phatic. Now, there should be no warp or curl when the Cover Grip is applied.
The same technique to prevent warp is used on the horizontal stabilizer. (Note that the rudder and elevator pieces do not need this.)
Until the next time,
Hals und beinbruch
The Comet Kid
Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Here I'm just illustrating the use of the MagnaBoard to line up the fuselage parts prior to using medium CA and Super'Phatic on the points of contact.
I decided to paint the cabane assemblies before gluing them in. Normally, I'd use some wood stain but opted for a match to the transparent yellow covering. The paint is from Michael's and it is a water-based acrylic with really rich pigment.
I learned this "trick" from one of the RC Micro World authors' articles. It was probably Bob Aberle. I've painted the areas where, in a much larger model, I would have had to wrap the covering down over the edge of some openings. You will see later that I will lay down the covering and just slice at the edges. It should look nice and finished.
Let's move on to the tail surfaces.
Hals und Beinbruch!
The Comet Kid
Tuesday, May 19, 2020
This is the left cabane assembly. Stevens Aero really did some nice work laser cutting the plywood parts. Instead of just gluing the uprights to the crosspiece, I found some hardwood dowel material and working it down to about 1/16" diameter by chucking it in my Dremel and using a nail file for my sanding tool. I used the laser cut holes to glue in the dowels for a really strong mechanical joint. (Thanks to all the building mentors over the years who gave me an infinitely valuable "tool kit" of techniques to store in my iBrain.)
That wraps it up for today. This was a fun building day.
I'm going to show what can happen with Super'Phatic. I glued down the bottom longeron and placed a dark grey magnet over it to hold it down after cleaning up what I thought was all the excess with a cotton swab. After a 20 minute cure, the magnet refused to come up. You can see how it ripped off part of the balsa fuselage side at that join. Grumbling to myself, I carefully saved the damaged piece with some careful X-acto surgery and reglued; I put down a small piece of plastic wrap before I set the magnet back for its clamping action.
The overall fit of the parts went very nicely. Here's an overall shot of today's work. Both plywood cabane assemblies are glued with 5-minute epoxy and are sitting for an overnight cure. The fuselage sides are built in the time-tested method used on so many slab-sided models. First, build one side; on goes the plastic wrap and the matching side is built over it.
Monday, May 18, 2020
This is a small magnet clamp for building with 1/16th and 1/8th strip wood and for general holding and blocking applications. Small enough to fit inside smaller structures. Laser-cut 1/16 ply and includes parts for 30 magnet holders (you will need 60 magnets). These dual-sided clamps are shown here with one using the 1/8" side on the trailing edge and one using the 1/16" side holding the gusset.
I'm using the magnets supplied by Easy Built with the XL Magna-Board to line up the ribs, LE, and TE.
The large, dark grey magnets are from Easy Built. The unusual-looking jigging magnetic
tools at the trailing edge were purchased from Hummingbird Model Products. More about them in a later post.