Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Fokker DVII fuselage covered

The DVII fuselage received its coating of Cover Grip 24 hours ago. I used some of that product thinned with water to keep the weight down.

Now the AeroLITE covering is complete except for the bottom rear. That is finished in white after the RX and pushrods are installed.

Saturday, June 20, 2020

How about some graphics for the Gym Ripper?

The 3 vinyl graphics supplied in the kit were so old, the backing would not come off. I remembered that I had sealed packs of white, inkjet, waterslide decal paper. There is a clear waterslide paper available at office supply stores, but why not use what I've got?

The graphic above was the first-ever attempt using the waterslide inkjet printer paper. The G and Y are too close. The "ripper" is too close to the upper line.

By the way, this font is  "Kelvinized" - a retro font loosely based on the logo of the old Kelvinator® refrigeration line from years past and has a nice industrial feel. The creator of this free font is Majik Mike and I found it at

Now, I worked with my artist wife, Mary, to do a better job of the layout.
Improvement! Using TurboCAD I made the G Y M characters separate objects and was able to pinpoint their location. The "ripper" object is moved down a bit. All of it sized as one object to fit the main panel of the wing.

And now for something completely different. The stylized diamonds shown on the plans did not come with the kit. I decided to create them as a set of four for the wing;  two for the top of the horizontal stab and two for the rudder.
Following what I learned on YouTube, I coated the sheets with three light coats of Krylon Colormaxx Clear (Indoor/Outdoor Gloss Crystal Clear).

Next comes the big moment when I trim out my decals and slide them into place. 

It's always good to learn new things.

Yours truly,
The Comet Kid

Friday, June 19, 2020

Fokker D7 Progress

The ply skid was going to be glued into sheet balsa. I created a little ply plate from scrap to give it a chunkier mechanical joint.

I decided to use an X-Acto circle cutting tool to make Frog Tape masks (unpainted on right) and the wheel on the left shows how this worked out.

All the struts, wheel covers, and the nose block are sprayed Holiday Red. After a quick coat of Minwax Spar Urethane varnish, they'll be ready to go. Now on to the film covering.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Cabanes fit and bonded

All the cabane, landing gear, and interplane struts are set to go. After a precision fit (You can't miss with this kit's laser cutting and engineering.) the joints are bonded with medium CA.

Gym Ripper Completed

Gym Ripper is completed from the Stevens Aeromodel kit.

Monday, June 15, 2020

Fokker D7 Wings completed

The top wing complete

Using magnets on Magna Board to keep the lower left wing square during gluing. Lower right waiting in the wings.

Bottom of wings, sub-wing and lower spar painted with a few light coats of Design Master Holiday Red. This flat laquer-based spray paint adds almost no weight.

The wings will be set aside and are now ready for film covering later.

Fokker D7 Fuselage laid up

Using magnets to keep everything aligned prior to tacking with medium CA. Notice I drew red lines with a fine point RED Sharpie marker. This gives me reference lines for the fuselage center line.

Fuselage is completed with three glues: Super 'Phatic, Medium CA and Sig-Ment

Clearing the decks

Magna Board is waxed with Johnson's Paste Wax and after getting all the glue blobs off, plastic wrap is laid down.

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Fokker D7 by Stevens Aeromodel

I decided to build the Stevens Aeromodel kit of the Fokker D7 in Jasta 18 colors.

Here we go! Let's have some fun with this build.